Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Man (or Woman)

Last night I was reading a book on Esther that happened to be sitting on my nightstand. It's one of my favorite stories from the Bible. A person, thrown into a situation out of her control, who obeys God and saves a nation. It got me thinking about how many times in the Bible one person made a difference.

In the same way that one person saved the nation of Isreal, one man almost caused God to eliminate all of them:
Numbers 16:22 But Moses and Aaron fell facedown and cried out, "O God, God of the spirits of all mankind, will you be angry with the entire assembly when only one man sins?"

In the same way that one man's sin made us a world of sinners, one man's death saved us all:
Romans 5:15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!

And an entire nation, that still exists, came out of one man:
Hebrews 11:12 And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

The next time I think a decision I am going to make only affects me, I need to remember that sometimes one person can make all the difference in the world.

No comments: