Monday, September 28, 2009

ODU lost and the Bengals beat the Steelers?

What an odd weekend!

ODU lost their first football game of the season on Saturday. The weather was absolutely perfect, the fans hyper but the other team better. So alas down by 3, they lost.

However, my sister text me last night to let me know that the Bengals beat the Steelers!

Some back story on the Bengals: several years ago, all of my friends were completely obsessed with football (this has not changed). Every Sunday afternoon I would be propped up at someone's house bored out of my mind while they all jumped around in brightly colored shirts with numbers on the back. So, Monday at work I looked at one of the resident football guys and said "Who is the worst team in the league right now?" Without even blinking he said "The Cincinatti Bengals." So from then on, they have been my team.

And you know what? They have gotten better. My first season I followed they were 8 and 8, got a new coach and Carson Palmer started showing promise. I have my one Bengals t-shirt that I wear on the rare events that I go to watch games. And while I know I am not a die hard fan, it does make me happy when they win.

Because they are MY team!

No comments: